There are many areas where Commissioners need to keep abreast of new publications and developments. Some of the key alerting services/organisations and their main areas of coverage of interest to commissioners are indicated below.
Updates are usually available using RSS, blog, email alert or Newsletter.
Alerts marked with an asterisk (*) are compiled by NHS Librarians or library services.
Key alerting services
- Acute care
- Data / statistics / intelligence
- Health Inequalities
- Horizon scanning
- Leadership / Change management
- Patient / clinical engagement
- Primary care
- Public Health / Local Authority
- Service / pathway development or redesign
- UK government departments (including Department of Health) – use the centralised email registration system to sign up for RSS feed or email alerts from any government department. You can select by type of documents, topic or event and organisation. You can also limit to items of interest to local government (replaces info4local alerting service). There are a number of DH subsites each of which has its own email alert service. At 17 July 2013 these are Dementia challenge; A paperless NHS; Compassionate care; Reducing avoidable deaths; Vulnerable older people
- Kings Fund – Health management and policy alert
- National Audit Office – RSS feeds on Health & Social Care
- NHS England – Barbara Hakin’s blog
- Nuffield Trust – sign up for the Newsletter for specific workstreams including Commissioning, predictive risk, NHS reform, Integrated care
- Health Foundation Research Scan – a monthly scan of published research around : Person-centred care, Patient safety, Value for money and Approaches to improvement.
- NHSmanagers.net – NHS news and comments from Roy Lilley
- HSJ – a collection of RSS feeds– the key “news” source for many NHS managers – RSS feeds include Commissioning news, Primary care news and Resource Centre (Note: to see much of the content you will need an HSJ subscription
- NHS Networks – Editors blog and news feeds
- Monitor Update – monthly newsletter from the sector regulator for health services in England.
Commissioning – CCGs and CSUs
- Camden CCG Commisisoning Intelligence – an in house publication compiled by the CCG Community Ownership Manager
- Bulletin for CCGs (NHS England)
- GP and Practice Team (DH)
- Kings Fund
- Knowledge@lerts for CCGs*
- NHS Clinical Commissioners (NHS CC)
- NHS Confederation News
- Nuffield Trust
- NHS News – NHS England bulletin with news, consultations and events for chief executives and their teams
- Provider Bulletin – DH bulletin with news, information and conversations for all providers of NHS services.
- BMA Commissioning blog
- Commissioning Newsfeed (The Improvement Network East Midlands)
- Commissioning News (Health Service Journal blog)
- Inside Commissioning email bulletin
Data / statistics / intelligence
- UK National Statistics Publication Hub – RSS feed around data release and RSS feed available for each statistical bulletin
- HSCIC Indicator Portal – sign up for updates
- NHS HSCIC Bulletin – Includes information about new datasets
- Commissioning: Data & Charts from the Nuffield Trust
- NHS England Statistical Work Areas – see the publication calendar
- Information governance bulletin – Bulletin to inform about the changes in IG around the use patient confidential data to support commissioning activity. (First bulletin July 2013)
- NICE newsletters and alerts
- Create an email alert of publications from DH around Equalities, Rights & citizenship (Topic)
- Equalities & Human Rights Commission email newsletter
- NIHR Horizon Scanning Centre – Information about emerging health technologies that may have a significant impact on patients or the provision of health services in the near future. Join the mailing list.
Leadership / Change management
Patient / clinical engagement
- NICE Update for primary care – see NICE Newsletters and alerts
- GP and Practice Team – An information update from DH providing resources on health policy and practice for GPs and the primary care audience, including practice managers and nurses.
- JournalWatch – a BMJ blog – Richard Lehman’s weekly review of medical journals – JAMA, BMJ, Lancet and NEJM, from a primary care perspective
- The big 4 bulletin – Current contents of 4 key clinical journals – BMJ, Lancet, JAMA and NEJM
- Behind the Headlines on NHS Choices – health stories in the news explained. RSS feed
- Primary Care Commissioning newsletters – possible to subsribe to three newsletters: Commissioning Excellence, PCC News Practice Management and PCC News Commissioning.
Public Health / Local Authority
- Use the “items of interest to local government” option on the alert setup in gov.uk to create an RSS or email alert from any UK government departments (including Department of Health)
- Public Health England
- APHO – Network of Public Health Observatories – As of 1 April 2013 APHO is absorbed into Public Health England but new resources are still being published through the regional PHOs
- Health and wellbeing boards alert from Kings Fund
- E-bulletins from the Local Government Association on a range of topics including Health, adult and social care and ageing
- Social Care Institute for Excellence (SCIE) – sign up to receive the ebulletin
- Kent & Medway Health Intelligence Bulletin – Ken & Medway PHO. Sign up for their regular bulletin or see the Netvides page.
- Better Healthcare Public Health Network – hosted by Solutions for Public Health (SPH) – join the network and sign up for the Newsletter, which includes a ‘swap shop’ of commissioning problems.
- NICE QIPP – QIPP case studies published by NICE plus briefings from Cochrane around quality and productivity. SIgn up for updates
- QIPP alert Blog by Caroline De Brún around the QIPP agenda*
Service / pathway development or redesign
- NHS Networks Commissioning Zone -a wide ranging collection of publications around commissioning. Login and go to your Settings to configure your alerts and newsletters.
- Integrated Care Bulletin from the Kings Fund
- HEE newsletter – Health Education England Newsletter
- NHS Employers Workforce Bulletin – HR practitioners and workforce leaders.
- NHS Line Managers Bulletin – practical tips, tools and advice on key workforce issues from NHS Employers.
Examples of News feeds and alerting services provided by NHS Library services
- CASH – Current Awareness Service for Health – a collaborative service provided by librarians from around England who monitor and capture content from across Primary Care, Secondary Care and Mental Health. Sign up for Newsfeeds here.
- HELLO Health Libraries in Lincolnshire Online Current Awareness Bulletins – Alerting service from ULHT Library and Knowledge Service. Topics include Service Delivery CAS
- Northamptonshire Healthcare NHS Libraries – Netvibes page
- Mental health and Learning Disabilities – database of useful alerting services compiled by North West Mental Health Libraries Group.
- Tell us about your News Service so that we can add it here.