NHS National service frameworks and strategies
This page on NHS Choices outline the National Service Frameworks (NSFs) and strategies for care across a range of conditions – currently Cancer, CHD, COPD, Diabetes Quality Standards, Kidney Care, Long term conditions, Mental Health, Older People, and stroke.
I posted recently about the HSCIC publication “Trends in consultation rates in General Practice 1995-2009” and the fact that this data is no longer collected. However I have found a Centre for Health Economics (CHE) report which extrapolates data from the GP Patient survey to estimate the number of GP consultations for its publication on NHS Productivity from 2004 to 2011.
Reduction in unwarranted variation is one of the keys of the governments savings healthcare policies. RightCare have published a series of themed atlases in its Variation in Healthcare series, graphically presenting variation in health services across CCGs, (and former PCTs) and hospitals. Right Care has also published a series of themed atlases on a range of conditions or populations. They have just added a new atlas – Diagnostic Services – to the series.
- The Diagnostic services atlas has been added to the Analysis of Variation section of the Deciding Priorities page of the Commissioning Handbook for Librarians
Better Health briefing papers are written by experts to provide the latest evidence on the health experiences of black and minority ethnic communities. The papers identify good practice examples, and include detailed references to help practitioners explore the evidence further.
Topics to date include dementia, dental health, tobacco use and organ donation.
Some new commissioning resources around diseases/conditions have been added to the Commissioning for specific diseases or conditions page of the Commissioning Handbook for Librarians
- Guidance for commissioners on low vision, urgent eye care, AMD and glaucoma from the College of Optometrists and The Royal College of Ophthalmologists: (Nov 2013)
- Commissioning regional and local sexual health services – Guidance for commissioners of HIV, sexual and reproductive health services: includes prevention, treatment, information, data, advice and support from PHE.
- British Lung Foundation COPD patient pathway to help people living with COPD, their carers and healthcare professionals identify the type of care COPD patients should be receiving, from diagnosis onwards. This website is also an interesting example of how to publish an interactive patient pathway.
- Dementia Challenge – a DH website bringing together the work on the National Dementia Strategy including an Interactive map shows quality of dementia care across England.
Some of the conditions on this page have very little information – why not adopt a section and suggest useful resources for us to add?
Focus on preventable admissions: Trends in emergency admissions for ambulatory care sensitive conditions, 2001 to 2013. Ian Blunt, QualityWatch October 2013.
This QualityWatch study examined the pattern of admissions across England for people with ACS conditions over the 12-year period from 2001 to 2013 as an indicator of how well primary and preventive care were working to reduce emergency admissions.
It is part of the work of preventable admissions being carried out under the QualityWatch banner by Nuffield Trust and Health Foundation to provide independent scrutiny into how the quality of health and social care is changing over time. Follow their activities via the QualityWatch website http://www.qualitywatch.org.uk/
- This report has been added to the Urgent Care page of the Commissioning Handbook for Librarians
According to Trends in consultation rates in General Practice 1995-2009, the average patient had 3.9 consultations each year in 1995 rising to 5.4 consultations each year by 2008, and over the same time the estimated number of consultations for a typical practice in England rose from 21,100 to 34,200.
Sadly there is no more recent data available. This publication is the last in a series based on analysis of a sample of general practices in England. It includes analysis by age and sex, the number of consultations for the typical general practice, consultations by health profession (eg GP or nurse) and on where the consultation took place.
The NHS IC Indicator portal includes a section around GP Practice activity data – describing their “Impact on NHS resources” extracted from Hospital Episode Statistics (HES) and covers 6 areas:
- Accident and emergency attendances
- Elective admissions
- Outpatient appointments
- Follow-up activity
- Total admissions
- Inpatient admissions
You can drill down to individual practices level. Current data is all pre April 2013 ie using old trust configurations.
Don’t forget to send us your suggestions for the Handbook.
Planning for health emergencies – This page outlines the DH and Cabinet Office policy around emergency planning and sets out responsibilities of different bodies. There is also a list of the publications relating to the policy – eg winter planning and vaccinations.
- This resource has been added to the Risk management page of the Commissioning Handbook for Librarians.
The Person-centred care resource centre is a new resource from the Health Foundation designed to help healthcare professionals implement a more person-centred healthcare service, helping people to manage their condition more effectively and make informed decisions about their own health and care. Current focus is on supporting people to more effectively manage and informed decision making.
- This resource has been added to the Long Term Conditions section of the Commissioning for specific diseases or conditions page of the Commissioning Handbook for Librarians.